Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pintrest addiction = busy hubby

Y'all. I cannot even begin to explain to you the fabulousness that is Pintrest.com. It is like your own set of pinboards (you set up the categories) for anything online. Instead of saving something to your favorites you can "pin" (save) to a specific "pin board" on Pintrest. When you go to vie your own boards everything you pinned is there with a picture and a link to the original site. I probably am not explaining it well, this is a better description. I am so addicted!
I have several boards for food - main meals, sides, drinks, sweet treats, etc. It has been awesome to pull up a board and see all new recipes I selected. I use it to make our menu before I grocery shop. Then I have boards for all sorts of other things - house and craft ideas, things for the girls, quotes, clothes, gifts....it is incredible I tell ya! My two most favorite boards are my "organize my clutter" and "Honey Do List". I saw a quote not long ago that made me nod my head and laugh out loud. It said something like "I feel happier and skinnier when my house is clean and organized". HA! That is so true. I LOVE everything to have a place to live and I love the process of organizing. When things are in order I am a calmer, nicer, more relaxed and comfortable person all the way around!
Anyway, here are a few of our first Pintrest projects. Some of them are directly copied from Pintrest and some of them were my idea (anything I copied from someone else has the link to original if you want it). To say that Jared's drill has been used a lot recently would be an understatement. Even my craft desk idea originated from Pintrest.  I hope some of these might inspire you to organize your own house!
I could have cleaned this up before taking the picture but I didn't have time. Jared put a big piece of MDF over the washer/dryer which gave me tons of space for washing/cleaning supplies. I love how easy this makes finding something. I also added a shower curtain rod above everything for all our extra hangers. Extra hangers in closets drive me nutty!

 Jared said I had to make sure to note that I did this all by myself. My wood cutting skills are not the best so the ends of the boards aren't straight. I say "details, details"! Now I no longer dig through a drawer for my measuring cups. The are hanging on the inside cabinet door next to the stove. Who needs straight lines for that?!?!? oringal idea here
This is a tension rod hanging under the sink. All our bottles are now off the bottom of the cabinet. I wrote the product names on the sides of the bottles so that I would know what is what and still had room for baskets underneath. idea here

This isn't hanging up yet but it will be above the couch soon (right, Jared?!?!?). I stained 4 boards, put a rubber welcome mat from Home Depot on top and spray painted it cream. My total cost was less than $20 and it will take up a large piece of wall space. idea here

The flash reflected all funny off this so it looks like a strange blue color. Anyway, I recently got REALLY tired of the dark colors in the house. In addition to a pintrest addiction I also have an issue with spray paint. This was an open back bookcase. I got foam board from the dollar store and painted it blue. It adds some color and light to the room without commitment or cost. LOVE IT! idea here

New window treatments! I took down the dark curtains and made valances. Between the girls and a dog there was someone always rubbing/pulling/messing with the long curtains and it drove me nuts! Now they can't touch them and there is a lot more natural light in the room.

Ha! Jared took this of my skillz...I needed to finish the bottom of this and it was already on the wall so I used my hair straightener to "iron" the bottom. This fabulous idea was totally mine. Maybe one day it will be popular enough to be on pintrest. Dear Jeff Foxworthy, here is a new one for you - "You might be a redneck if you use hair appliances to make curtains".

I don't know why it took me 6 years to do this. I got big laundry baskets and made/laminated cute tags so that I don't have to sort light/darks/whites. When I notice a basket is getting full I just dump it in the washing machine. There are two more baskets - one for dry cleaning and one for handwashing/needs to be fixed. LOVE THEM ALL!!!!

I found this over the door shoe rack at Bed Bath and Beyond a few months ago. It takes up the whole back of the door and holds 30+ pairs of shoes. Awesome! Don't know what it is but the every fall when I see college dorm stuff in stores I have a sudden need to redo something. Do you think any college students might want an old lady to come decorate their dorms?!?!?

Just before I found pintrest poor Jared got stuck in the land of shelves. This one he made and added above the desk in our sitting room. I still have to get the hanging stuff back on the wall and get the shelf in order but I love it!

And I REALLY love these shelves above the desk in the kitchen. We looked into adding cabinets there a long time ago but they were really expensive and not exactly what I wanted. The chair was yellow and in my old room at my dads. I sanded it and repainted it the same color cream as the shelves. I am still working on a few things to go up there but you get the idea. There was nothing on the wall before except an ugly metal decorative thing. Now our mailbox is there, my cards, all our mailing stuff, a basket for keys and hiding electrical things, etc.


I especially love my moss letter. These bad boys are $79 at Pottery Barn. This one cost me less than $5 to make. Love it!

Another set of shelves that isn't even painted yet. We have such a tiny toilet room in our bathroom and I hated anything being on the floor. Now there is room for magazines, our cleaning supplies and extra toilet paper without it being a cluttered mess.

So there you have it. We've been up to a lot around here and there are lots of other things I didn't take pictures of. My to-do list has always been long but since Pintrest came along it is out of control. Jared will tell you that I don't read blogs or check Facebook much anymore. I'd much rather find a good idea on Pintrest anyday! And if you are interested in joining let me know and I can send you an invite. Hope you love it like I do!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Love it all, but you make me totally miss stores! I can't do much with what we have here unless you are talking driftwood LMAO.