Sunday, February 8, 2009

Confession time. I broke the rules.

This post is really only for a few girlfriends (you'll know who you are) with whom I have said "I would never...". Maybe we said it in the office when our email opened to a picture of an old lady's feet in sandals with really, really nasty cracked heels. Or when we've left the nail place together, our toes separated by rolled up toilet paper as they sparkle, drying in the sunshine. Remember our words..."I will never leave the house with nasty feet. NEVER.". We've said it. Remember?

But hear me out...Yesterday morning I'd been in the house with sick Matney for 5 days without leaving. 5 Days. One afternoon I ran to the mailbox to grab a couple days worth of mail. No other sunshine, no fresh air. Just days and days of snot and tears. So, when my mom called and wanted to run up for a couple hours I said GREAT! Mom and I had a couple things that had to get done before Matney's birthday and each of us had 1/2 of what we needed to complete the task. What I didn't realize until I walked outside to get something out of her car was that IT WAS BEAUTIFUL YESTERDAY! Warmth and sunshine. Ahh...stress and snot be gone!

While Jared and mom took turns wiping snot I ran upstairs and showered, got dressed in capri pants and FLIP FLOPS!!! Jared and I both hate shoes so we don't often wear them in the house but yesterday, just out of the shower and still in a towel, I went to the closet and put on my flip flops because I was so excited! (It's the little things people!) I clearly remember thinking, "my feet are SO not ready for this but I do NOT care". I got out for a real lunch, a quick trip to the store and ICE CREAM at Bruster's because it was so pretty outside. All wearing my flip flops with...gasp, I confess, nasty, gross feet. I wiggled my toes the entire time thinking how this was another lesson in why I should never say never and should not judge people.

It was wonderful. Mom and I got done what we needed to, I got sunshine, ice cream and Matney got her Valentines present from Grandma. She now has a wonderful spring wardrobe that will fit her um, how do I say this nicely, "big girl" belly and thighs. Ahh...stress and snot be gone! THANKS GRANDMA!!!! I will wash a big load of clothes today just in time for sunshine. Now, Matney and I need to make sure there are matching bows for all her new clothes. As soon as she is better we're ready to go!

Now girls...I confess I broke the rules and it was gross. I promise to be a better foot scrubber in the shower and am willing to sacrifce some time to get our toes done anytime you need to go. And I promise to teach my daughter better. So, will you still be my friend???

1 comment:

The Shaw Family said...

I am still your friend! We would have made a lovely pair with our nasty feet. I also rocked the flip flops the other day, and let's just say pedicures haven't been top on my list things to do. I am glad you wiggled your toes with pride and enjoyed your day out!