Thursday, March 4, 2010

"Laughter through tears..."

Who can fill in the rest of that title? I bet most of you good Southern Ladies can! Remember? Truvy (Dolly Parton) said "laughter through tears is my favorite emotion" in Steel Magnolias. That is a good description of our house this week. My Grandmama raked leaves on Saturday, drove herself to church on Sunday and was in ICU on Monday. She is really sick, sedated and on a ventilator.
Tuesday I got a call that they didn't think she was going to make it and I was so upset to be stuck here in the snow. I left the room after getting off the phone because I could feel "the ugly cry" coming and the girls were happily playing next to me. I came back in the room a minute later and a few minutes after that Matney climbed into my lap and patted my face. She said, "Poor Mommy." How sweet, right? Nope, the next sentence out of her mouth was "Mommy's face all yucky!". HA! I had actually gotten showered and dressed before the girls were up so I guess even a toddler knows mascara lines are not pretty. I love that my sweet girl can always make me laugh, even through tears.
If you've read this blog long you know that I adore my Grandmama and that she adores my girls and my husband (sometimes more than me I think!) so it has been a rough week here. We decided to cancel Matney's birthday party on Saturday and are praying Grandmama is able to be awake this weekend and we can see her. Until then I'll keep Matney around me at all times for extra laughs!

No comments: