Thursday, November 15, 2012

(Life Changing) Trip to WR


I am not sure where to even start with this post. The past 4 days have been the biggest whirlwind of emotions.
I took a trip back home to Warner Robins last weekend. I wanted a chance to see a few people one last time before Ev is born and I don’t travel further than Target for the next year! Jared kept the girls so that I could go alone (And I hear they were very happy campers. Literally. They had hotdogs, cheetos and marshmallows for dinner and watched tv from a tent in the living room. Can’t imagine why they think Dad is more fun that me!).
I saw some of my all time favorite people (several who are pictured and some who were not. I’m just impressed I remembered my camera at all!) and please, next time remind the pregnant girl that horizontal stripes are not my friend at this stage in the game!
DSCN5361
Some of you may recognize Evelyn Adams. She was the dean of students at Wesleyan College when I was in school (and probably the only reason I ever graduated!). Her house caught fire in May and I hadn’t seen her since then. After lunch I was able to go by and see how they are rebuilding. If you were at the wedding shower she co-hosted at her house you’ll remember all their antiques….they lost everything. So sad! The new place is beautiful and I’ll pass along the lecture she gave me about making sure you have heat detectors installed in your attic. Ev, I promise I am getting one!
I didn’t want to tell her I was pregnant until we were in person so she was quite shocked to see my belly waddle walk up. Even sweeter – telling her the baby’s name! I love that baby Evelyn’s name is associated with people/places that mean so much to me…..
Like Loretta and Evelyn’s the store! Loretta was my grandmama’s best friend and worked at  Evelyn’s since before I was born. For my entire life Loretta has been there watching me grow and throwing me under the check out counter to keep me from getting in trouble with Grandmama. I love that! Spending time with her makes me think about our girls and wonder who knows them now that will be still loving on them when they are mamas of their own. Such a fun time to catch up with her!
Typic
I have 9 cousins on my dad’s side of the family and I have always been closest to Christina. Our parents spent A LOT of money when we were in middle and high school on long distance phone bills. We talked all the time! She is from Atlanta and now lives in WR and we hardly ever manage to see one another.
photo (2)
I ended up staying over night (thanks again Jared) and had breakfast with another few of my favorite people.  Donna, Darla and Mr Grumpy Terry came out to breakfast. Don’t you love that Terry is laughing? I was pinching him from behind!
And this is totally random but it’s making me laugh so I’ll share. I have often told Jared I am worried that he’s about to go “all Mr. Terry” on me. What might that mean? Here is one hysterical example so that you can laugh too. Darla used to throw a big Christmas party every year and decorated with lots of candles. Mr Terry doesn’t really like candles. One year after the party he told Darla to go to bed because he’d clean up. Such a sweet husband, right? When Darla woke up the next morning her entire house was covered in a white dust. Want to guess? Mr. Terry had taken the fire extinguisher and put out all the candles. Well played, Terry. Well played. From what I understand there have been never been candles burning in the Stahl house again. HAHAHAHA!
photo (1)
And then….then, then, then….right now I still don’t have the words or the space or the time to explain what happened next except to say that by the most amazing circumstances I was introduced to a woman and her family who would impact my life, Darla’s and many others in matter of days. It started months ago with a blog and then moved to a website and a need and kind hearted friend who offered to help….and then late on Saturday night came together via a great big God who was weaving it all together but none of the individuals involved had any idea what was about to happen.
I have contacted many of you this week to help, or you’ve seen my facebook posts, and I cannot say thank you enough to those of you who have reached out. My new friend Bethany seems to be trying to put into words the past few days so I’ll leave you with the link to her blog and let you follow from there. There has only been one other time that I have truly felt like I am “walking on Holy ground” in a situation except for right now in this place. It has been the most extraordinary week.
The Hartman family blog is www.hartsforhim.blogspot.com and if you click now she’s just posted today so you can read along as she documents her family’s journey. I am humbled and ever so thankful to be a part of all that I have witnessed these past few days. And I pray that I will remember each of the times I’ve said "oh.my.word" because they have each been an instance of something so much more than circumstance that confirms we are so very loved and never alone.

1 comment:

6HartsforHim said...

Love you. Love the pictures. Love that you all love cracker barrel. ;)And,the stripes look adorable. Baby bumps are cute. Promise!