Thursday, June 26, 2008

The well monitored move to the crib!

We have been waiting to move Matney to her crib until the Matneys came because we have a twin bed in Matney's room that someone would be sleeping in. That was my argument to Jared anyway and I have learned that with a lawyer in the house I need to have a good argument ready! I liked having her right next to my side of the bed but I agree that is was certainly time for her to move. So, last night was "THE NIGHT" and this is the set up beside my bed to monitor her all night long. The thing on the left is the sound and video monitor. You leave it on sound and then, if there is a noise or reason you need to see her, you just turn the screen on and there's the baby girl! So if she moves we know it!
The one on the right is the Angelcare movement monitor. It has a pad under her mattress and a unit in her bedroom. Each movement she makes (including breathing) is registered and if there is no movement for 15 seconds a beep sounds. If, after that beep, there is still no movement for 5 more seconds an alarm sounds in her room and ours. So if she doesn't move we know it!

Back to last night. We put her down around 8:30 and she didn't seem to notice she was in another room. I felt like a different person being able to read in bed before going to sleep! Matney woke up at 11:30, 3:15 and 7 to eat. Everything was normal except that, since she is right next to me, I normally can hold the paci in her mouth as she falls back to sleep. Last night she had to work it out and put herself back to sleep...and she thought she needed to spend 10 minutes talking to herself to do it! Not knowing if she was going to talk or scream I finally turned off the monitors in our room and moved into her room so that Jared didn't have to hear all the noise. In between her feedings I slept well knowing that she was safe in her crib.
All together I would call it an easy transition for everyone. Until we have a child who sleeps more than a few hours at a time it is still going to be long nights in the Heald house!
And special thanks to my technology loving Dad who made sure we had all the equipment necessary know this baby's every move!!!!

No comments: