Thursday, April 9, 2009

72 Hours

If you have read this blog for a while you know that my mom and I can accomplish great things under pressure. Remember Matney's room last summer or the Thanksgiving curtains? We work well with a short timeline.

Mom teaches school and is on Spring Break this week so she came up to help work on Halle's room. We started Sunday afternoon with a white room full of baby stuff thrown in a pile in the middle of the floor. By Sunday night we'd made a trip to the fabric store to find material and fringe and the curtains were done (we thought). Monday AM we held them up and decided they really had to have room darkening material on the back (ie, take them apart and get ready to resew them) so off we went. We found that material and went hunting for an outfit for Halle to come home in and a crib...we found neither. Next we headed to get paint for the room...that we found. We came home and put M down for a nap at 2 something. Mom said she was running to the grocery store but snuck away to Victoria's Children's Boutique to look at dresses. By the time she got back I'd found a crib online and ordered it. By Monday night the curtains had been redone and we headed to WalMart when M and J went to bed.

Tuesday morning Mom woke up and painted the room...the whole room. Talk about saving us some money. THANKS MOM!!! We were lucky enough to have Abby for the day since it was her Spring Break too. Abby wore Matney out they played so much! Mom was done and dressed by 3pm and we set off again. This time we found letters to spell HK's name and a dress to come home in. We were home by 5pm and had to say goodbye to Abby. After Jared and Matney were asleep we made the valance for the curtain, made a pillow to fit a pillowcase that came with her bedding and painted the letters.





The room when we started.

painted!

Matney wanted to show you a close up of the color...and her strawberry covered face after breakfast!

Her Elmo fabric. She sits on Elmo and points at him saying his name over and over.

Wednesday morning I ran to Babies R Us to grab a mattress and JoAnn's for scrapbook paper for the letters. I had in my mind what I wanted to do with them and just hadn't been able to find what I needed to make it happen. Matney woke up from her nap to a new blanket (see above). Mom, or "the sweat shop worker" according to Jared, and Matney found Elmo material the day before and I guess she thought she could take a break while I was gone and make M's blanket. Those are not the rules in this sweat shop! I got home, we hemmed and hung the curtains. Thanks to my Dad and his Amazon Prime account for just $3.99 shipping the crib I ordered on Monday was sitting in the driveway at 2pm. We put M down for a nap, cut open the box and carried the pieces upstairs. By 4:30 when Jared got home the crib had been put together and the bedding was on. Jared hung the valance for us, we grilled hot dogs and put M to bed. While J watched baseball we went to Target and got most of the remaining things I needed. We came home and made a lampshade and pillow out of the leftover fabric and I finished my letters.


The crib is in the room!

Almost done!

Jared came home just in time to hang the valance.

The Heald's in Halle's new room. We can't wait to meet her.

The lamp and pillow Mom made to match the curtains.

Just like Ty on Home Makeover the letters were my "special project". I'd found letters I really liked online and they were $17 each. EACH. Halle Kate is 9 letters...um, no. These I got at Hobby Lobby for 1/2 off so they were $1.50 each. The paper on the top was 50cents a sheet and I used 8 sheets. We already had the blue paint from her walls. I did have to buy Modge Podge because I was out and that was $6. Cute custom ordered letters - $153 + shipping. Mommy made letters - $23.50.

At 11:47pm last night I took this picture and declared us, as Matney would say, "DONE!". We took our worn out selves upstairs and went to bed! This morning we rewarded ourselves with Waffle House before Mom headed back home. YUMMY!

There is still plenty to do once we get the rest of her furniture in the room but I feel MUCH BETTER and like we're not way behind. I realize looking at this post that the one thing I don't have is a picture of the bedding in the crib or the room itself now that it is more complete. I will run up and take some soon. I am exhausted and hope to be in bed EARLY tonight! I wonder what Mom and I can tackle next?!?!

4 comments:

Lindy said...

I love it! You picked great fabric! I have got to come and see you guys soon. I miss you so much, but I feel like I stay caught up thanks to your blog!

Amber said...

Looks Awesome!

Brooke and Patrick said...

Love it!!!! You have the best mom in the world to help you out like that. I am jealous!!

The Rice's said...

I love it! Can't wait to see it in person. I adore the letters you made!