Monday, April 20, 2009

Mossy Creek Barnyard Festival

I know I said I'd have these up days ago but I am having to add pictures in pieces. Our internet was down on Monday, Jared had to take the computer to work on Tuesday and today...we just have too much going on. Here are more pics from the weekend. I am working on getting up the play area pics and our visit see to Granddaddy and Great Grandma (my Dad and Grandmama in WR).

Back home the "Mossy Creek Barnyard Festival" happens twice a year and is an arts and crafts fair in the middle of the woods. As a kid I went every time, every year. I have great memories of tye-dyed tee shirts, boiled peanuts, petting zoos, crafts and cloggers. We had had plans for another family to come over on Saturday for a while but they found out they wouldn't be able to make it at the beginning of the week. So, when I made the decision to go home last weekend I knew I wanted to take Matney to Mossy Creek. I really thought she would love the petting zoo since she loves all animals...I just forgot that she likes them from a distance or in a book! If you have read this blog for a while you know that my mom's two best friends for the past 40 years are Donna and Sue...and they often took me to Mossy Creek all those years ago. So, what to do with Matney? Call them up and make sure they come to introduce her to the Barnyard fun!


The Ladies getting ready to enter the fun!

HA!!! I so remember this from my childhood. Porta Potties (I have never had the need to spell porta potty before, not sure if this is right) are the only option at Mossy Creek and since I was a child Donna has made sure to bring her own toilet paper. Nothing worse than a porta potty AND no toilet paper! I love these ladies!!!

These are from the petting zoo. As much as I thought she'd like it, Matney was not a fan. The smaller animals she liked- goats, sheep, bunnies...but only from a distance. The large animals were a definite no go even from yards away!



Seriously, Mom. We just had this talk about big creatures. NO BIG COWS.

The petting zoo was pretty much the opposite of what I'd hoped for Miss M. It will be a while before I try large, live animals again (of course, dressed up critters are a no too..). However, we quickly found something that will keep M going back year after year...FOOD! Much of the fun of Mossy Creek is the food. BBQ, corn, fried pies, boiled peanuts, homemade sweets. Yummy. And Matney loved it all!



If you enlarge this pic you can tell that she is COVERED in food. Yep, that is my kiddo. Every time I turned around someone was feeding her something. She loved it!

No comments: